Did you know that the OSHA estimates that there are more than 100 forklift related deaths and 37,500 injuries every year worldwide? All of which are due to unsafe forklift operations! To put that into perspective, there were 6 fatal shark attacks and 48 injuries this year, worldwide. We all hear about the shark attacks, but I can honestly say that I have not seen anything on the news in regards to forklift accidents. At Statewide Forklift not only are we here to help you purchase, hire or maintain your forklift and machinery but we also want to make sure your safe, so we have some safety tips for you this week.
- Always abide by the load capacity of the forklift. Never overload.
- Make sure your load is centred. If you are lifting a load that cannot be centred, try to position the heaviest part of your load closest to you.
- Slow and steady wins the race.
- Always be observant of your surroundings.
- Drive with your load in the lowest position.
- Make sure your forks are at the right height when approaching your load.
- Look around you. Make sure when lifting loads, that you have enough overhead clearance.
- Do not tilt your load while moving as this can make your forklift unbalanced.
- Make sure your mast is in the vertical position before lowering your load.
- Be careful when making sharp turns.
- Make sure you take care when working on ramps or uneven, sloping surfaces.
- Ensure your Forklift is always serviced and maintained by a professional and qualified mechanic.
We hope these tips will be useful to you and your employees. Please feel free to forward this weeks newsletter to anyone you feel may benefit from this by using it.